Built in 1687, the church of St. Gothard is a seldom used building in Somasassa, an outlying suburb of Teglio, Valtellina, that counts about 1000 souls.
Its soaring belfry overlooking the valley attracted our attention from a distance. The church is no longer in use for religious practice (except for three Sundays in summer), but we were lucky enough to stumble across the nephew of the late sacrist who was inclined to let us step inside the old temple for a quick look by a side door.
Although it is not completely abandoned, the building shows a certain neglect on the part of the authority entitled to take care of it. Nevertheless, it does not lack a few noticeable works of art.
Within a frame dated 1764, the baroque painting on the main altar by an unidentified artist of the late baroque, depicts Saint Gothard about to heal a wounded man.
In the left chapel of the presbytery, a canvas portrays St Charles Borromeo worshipping the Holy Trinity. On the opposite side, painted directly on the wall, Our Lady of Good Advice, held in triumph by the angels, with Saints Andrew, Euphemia and Gothard.
(Testo italiano qui)